Wednesday, January 5, 2011

TIPS FOR A BABY'S NURSERY!

Once I knew I was pregnant I embarked on creating the "perfect" nursery. Well, I learned a lot about myself. I learned that while I have my own tastes and style I was designing for a baby girl and she became my beloved client. I realized that while I like subtle colors that a babies eyes develops on sharp contrast and colorful objects. So here is what I came up with....





I chose art from Etsy that was smaller scale and placed each in a black simple frame. I hung each with space between so that my baby could make out each shape.



Our crib was donated by a good friend. When we went to see it it was a light maple wood. I knew I wanted off white furniture so it was my springboard for all other items. It was painted to match the Pottery Barn shelf above and whala, a fresh start! I love the symetry of this wall. I planned on shelving to flank each side but for now I like it simple with a lot of negative space. I think it's important for the eye to rest in order to appreciate simplicity.




No childs room is complete without hanging ceiling decor! I chose these butterflies from Land of Nod to soften the room and bring the high pitched ceilings down to baby.

http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=1133&f=3165



I love antiques! I was never going to find a "changing table" that I liked. Nothing beats the charm of tall spindle legs and a built in gorgeous mirror. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent with my daughter looking into the mirror while she learned to recognize herself. It's a must for every nursery. Also she will be able to enjoy this dresser for many years to come.


Finally, the most important item in our nursery which made it complete was the ultimate rocker/glider! Like many a new mom I spent HOURS, scouring the market for a beautiful chair. I decided to spend a little more and get a chair that I was going to keep in our family for years and not want to sell on Craigslist the moment she grew out of nursing. This has a slipcover for easy cleaning (a must)!

No comments:

Post a Comment